DO-IT-YOURSELF WEATHER FORECASTING
Indicators of Deteriorating Weather:
- Clouds lowering and thickening, ceiling lowers.
- Puffy clouds begin to develop vertically and darken.
- Sky is dark and threatening to the West.
- Clouds increasing in numbers, moving rapidly across the sky.
- Clouds at different heights moving in different directions.
- Clouds moving from East or Northeast towards the South.
- Heavy rain occurring at night.
- Barometer falling steadily or rapidly.
- Smoke from stacks lowers.
- Static on AM radio.
- Wind shifting North to East and possibly through East to South.
- There is a ring (halo) around the moon.
- If on land, leaves that grow according to prevailing winds turn over and show
- Strong wind and / or a red sky in the morning.
- Temperatures far above or below normal for the time of year.
Indicators of Impending Strong Winds:
- Light, scattered clouds alone in a clear sky.
- Sharp, clearly defined edges to clouds.
- Yellow sunset.
- Unusually bright stars.
- Major changes in the temperature.
Indicators of Impending Precipitation:
- Distant objects seem to stand above the horizon.
- Sounds are very clear and can be heard for great distances.
- Transparent veil-like cirrus clouds thicken, ceiling lowers.
- Hazy and sticky air. Rain may occur in 18-36 hours.
- Halo around the sun or moon.
- Increasing South wind with clouds moving from the West.
- Wind (especially North wind) shifting to West and then South.
- Steadily falling barometer.
- Pale sunset.
- Red sky to the West at dawn.
- No dew after a hot day.
Indicators of Clearing Weather:
- Cloud bases rise.
- Smoke from stacks rise.
- Wind shifts to West, especially from East through South.
- Barometer rises quickly.
- A cold front has passed in the past 4 to 7 hours.
- Gray early morning sky shows signs of clearing.
- Morning fog or dew.
- Rain stopping and clouds breaking away at sunset.
Indicators of Continuing Fair Weather:
- Early morning fog that clears.
- Gentle wind from the West or Northwest.
- Barometer steady or rising slightly.
- Red sky to East with clear sky to the West at sunset.
- Bright moon and light breeze at night.
- Heavy dew or frost.
- Clear blue morning sky to West.
- Clouds dot the afternoon summer sky.